I am not a fan of pasta. Except for my grandma’s spaghetti salad. But that’s it. However, that doesn’t mean that my kids don’t love pasta, especially homemade macaroni and cheese.
This has always been one of my boys favorites and for as long as he’ll let me cook it for him, I will.
I realize that as a food blogger, I should have covered it in buttery bread crumbs and broiled it for that perfect picture, but… that’s not how he likes it.
I’m just being real. Not everything gets all sorts of pretty and garnished around here. And school lunch doesn’t give us time for pretty garnishes anyways.
So, here it is… all simple and gooey with the cheese that is all creamy and stringy. It looks good. And it must taste good. B ate 2 whole bowls and K ate almost a full bowl too.
I had myself a turkey sandwich.
Homemade Mac N Cheese
- 4 cups cooked (2 cups uncooked) shell macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice. I use cheddar.
- Cook and drain your pasta as directed on package.
- In a deep frying pan or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard and stir with a whisk until combined. Add Worcestershire. Stir. Stir in milk and cheese and stir constantly until it’s all melted and combined.
- Stir cooked & drained pasta into sauce.
- I then like to add a handful of shredded cheddar and stir it in.
- Serve while warm.