If you’re wanting a fun and simple meal for dinner, these Bagel Dogs are what you’re looking for!
This recipe made 13 bagel dogs. I used 3 ounces of dough per sausage.
I used smoked polish sausage but you could also use your favorite hot dogs.
It took me about 2 hours from start to finish so that should give you an idea of what time you may want to start mixing up your dough.
You could also make the dough ahead of time. Just make sure to punch it down once it has doubled in size, then place it in the fridge. An hour before you plan to make them, pull the dough from the fridge to let it come to room temperature.
Bagel Dogs & Honey Mustard
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (2 pkgs)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 12-13 hotdogs/ sausages
- 12 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- toppings such as sesame seeds, everything but the bagel seasoning, dried onions, etc,
- Mix together the warm water, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes or until yeast has started to bubble.
- Add the flour, salt and butter to the yeast mixture. Place the bowl on a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Mix the dough on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until the dough forms a ball that pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If the dough seems a little dry, add a bit more water (1/4 tsp at a time)
- Remove the ball of dough from the bowl; spray the bowl with cooking spray and return the dough to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Place the bowl in a warm area until the dough has doubled in size, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two sheet pans with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large pot, combine the 12 cups water and baking soda and bring to a boil.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and divide into equal pieces. Each piece should be about 3 ounces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 10-12 inches long. Wrap the dough around each dog, pinching the ends of the dough together to seal. Place the hot dogs on the lined sheet pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, dip each wrapped dog into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Place back onto sheet pan.
- Brush bagel dogs with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with your favorite topping…or don’t. The choice is yours.
- Bake until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 Tbsp mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Mix it up with a wire whisk and serve with bagel dogs!