Oatmeal Cake is one of my most favorite baked goods of all time! The cake is the perfect texture with the right amount of spice and flavor and the frosting… well, it’s so dang good! All the crunch of walnuts and coconut in that sweet delicious brown sugar sweetened goodness.
I’ll be honest, if I make the cake for us, it will not last more than 3 days. We love it enough to just keep a fork in the pan and grab a bite as we pass through the kitchen. Sorry not sorry.
My grandma used this recipe to bake up my parents’ wedding cake.
I can’t remember a year that this hasn’t been my dad’s birthday cake.
This is also a simple recipe for a build confidence in a newbie baker, as it looks far more difficult than it is and it’s impressive.
I have used this recipe to make cupcakes, wedding cakes and a 9×13. The 9×13 is my favorite because it’s just the classic I grew up with.
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- Pour boiling water over oats and set aside.
- Cream butters and sugars. Beat in eggs. Stir in soaked oatmeal.
- Sift dry ingredients. Add to wet mixture.
- Pour in greased 9×13. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Cool in pan.
- Heat all ingredients until they’re bubbly.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread on cake.
- Put in oven on broil until bubbly.
- Let cool.